Tuesday, January 18, 2011

To Be Old Is to Be Loved: New Order - "True Faith"

Okay, so I'm a tad late to the game on this one, having discovered New Order's "True Faith" (from the Substance 1987 compilation) only in the last year. So I'm young, okay?

But good god, it's absolutely unbelievable magic. Wikipedia claims that the original lyrics included the lines "Now that we've grown up together/They're taking drugs with me," but in fact it's the finalized version (allegedly changed out of fear of being ostracized by radio), "Now that we've grown up together/They're afraid of what they see" that I find the most affecting.

Quickly rocketing up to the same rarefied Tree of Hearts echelon that currently houses Björk's "Hyperballad", Pet Shop Boys' "What Have I Done To Deserve This?", and Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love", would it be gushing to say I love this song? 

Below is the unforgettable video. Seriously, why don't they make all videos like this anymore? 



...And an amazing remix by the legend that is Shep Pettibone:


True Faith (Shep Pettibone Remix) by djrightonbeat

No comments:

Post a Comment